This THREE-DAYS course and hands-on workshop is designed to educate attendees in the art and science of laparoscopic suturing, as well as provide "step by step" techniques for performing laparoscopic gynecological procedures. Unique opportunity to learn and perform laparoscopic dissection and use of different types of energies (electrosurgery, ultrasonics, stapling) on live tissue.
The curriculum of this course is a continuum of didactics followed by hands-on training sessions in a repetitive and increased fashion, reaffirming and maximizing technical skill development. Lectures will be evidence-based and will include extensive surgical videos.
The hands-on session will include EXTRAPERITONEAL pelvic and lombo-aortic lymphadenetcomy on live mini-pigs in experimental lab. Additional topics will include laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis and oncological scenarios, pelvic reconstruction, normal and abnormal anatomy, and COMPLICATIONS (identification and resolution by laparoscopy in a swine model).
The attendees will also have the opportunity to try minilaparoscopic instruments, new 3D laparoscopic cameras and the very recent ICG image systems.
This course does not provide credentials for the exercise of medicine for those without appropriate training, recognition and registered at the "Ordem dos Médicos" or international equivalent institutions.
At the conclusion of this course, the clinician will be able to:
1. Understand the importance of anatomy in surgery;
2. Describe effective room set-up for laparoscopy;
3. Describe patient positioning and trocar-placement for laparoscopic
4. Determine the fundamental techniques in laparoscopic suturing;
5. Demonstrate optimal bite placement and knot tying technique during
laparoscopic tissue approximation;
6. Predict, manage and prevent complications, including ureter, bladder and
bowel injuries in laparoscopic surgery;
7. Know about electrosurgery as a very useful surgical tool - its actions
and its complications;
8. Apply the skills necessary to perform laparoscopic hysterectomy,
myomectomy and pelvic reconstructive surgery while minimizing conversions.
Hélder FerreiraCentro Hospitalar do Porto, Centro Materno-Infantil do Norte, Porto, Portugal
João BernardesULS Matosinhos - Hospital Pedro Hispano, Matosinhos, Portugal Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Cristina Nogueira-SilvaHospital de Braga, Braga, PortugalSchool of Medicine - University of Minho, Braga, Portugal